Friday, September 19, 2008

On the day of Onam....

This post was in pipeline for many days...Its almost 1 week over since this event happened..but here I am ending up posting now...hardly finding time these days :P....OK first things first..

On this day of Onam I had my first Mallu food...ummmmm...:)  As usual had to wait because of the serpentine queues made outside the hotel on this special day...The Maître d' occasionally apologising for making us wait.

Unfortunately we had a very good view of people who already succeeded in possessing a banana leaf. Seeing them, my stomach started having hungry pangs and my hunger grew from mole to a mountain hill. 

After waiting for some more time, finally we were welcomed and  the Maître d' 's face changed from a sorry face to a welcome-to-my-palace face. The wait was worth it. I dunno whether Mallus have so many items in a  Mallu's thalli on Onam or the hotel has on its menu on that day. Whatever it may be I lliterally had 24 items on that gargantuan banana leaf!!!

The Gods own country has its own style of preparing the dishes. The first stupefy came when I was served the rice. The grain would have been 0.4cm in diameter and 0.6 cm in height..I was told that is the rice people generally eat, back in Kerala. I was dumbfounded!! But that was good..

I don't know whether the hotel stood on its word by serving the 24 items because I couldn't count and categorize the items as every item is new to me. After a long time had my lunch to the fullest....Awesome......Happy belated Onam...........

No comments: