Saturday, June 14, 2008

Incredible !ndia

When I was passing by the Dhoby ghaut MRT I happened to see the ad board showcasing India's cultural heritage and apparently promoting tourism. The sight of that brought a smile on my face. Seeing your country name on a foreign land by all odds should make you feel proud. But then this struck me..Why Incredible India.Did the Amazing Asia tag inspire them?Oxford has two meanings for Incredible.
1) Amazingly good 2) Impossible to believe.

Every Indian will be delighted when a Foreigner says the 1st one.Second one can be seen in different perspectives.Impossible to believe....Two days before, I read an article in IBN about a London minister saying throwing garbage out of the window was “normal behaviour” in India, to do so in Britain was “not acceptable behaviour”. I am sure many countries cannot even imagine throwing garbage out of the window which we Indians do or at least use to do..

I happened to meet a British tourist when I was touring in Malaysia. She is in Malaysia having visited India before coming over to there. I was very inquisitive to get a feedback from her. The very first word that came from her is " its good" then she continued, "but I don't know.. its not like England". Then I was telling to myself " How can India be England. If that is the case why should you take all the pain of travelling 4000 odd miles to see a a carbon copy on England ." She then followed with another terrible word " I was scared". That put me into embarrassment and wiped the smile off my face and I decided not to ask anything more than that.

On the flip side, a friend of mine ( Chinese) from NUS happened to visit India recently . He visited Kajuraho, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udiapur,Jaisalmar, Amritsar, Agra etc etc..I was really awe stuck when he said had visited all these places. Being an Indian I have never seen places outside Hyderabad except Goa and Delhi, thanks to my B.E. I was again put into embarrassment when he said " you might have seen all these places". We always long to see places outside India but are least bothered to visit the umpteen good places in India. I thought atleast this Guy has said that India is Amazingly good.. I am not sure how the narration of his tour differs in the absence of mine but at least he made me feel proud unlike the English woman...My country -
Incredible!ndia....

No comments: